1/30/14

I'm fed up with the (federal) college bureaucracy!

Earlier today, I had an incident with my current university campus that I believe further reinforces my opinion that the place simply can't handle anybody "different" from their more "typical" students; that is, those who may or may not be some sort of minority student without any physical/emotional/mental/social/etc. differences, generally middle-class, willing to put up with everything the campus throws their way while still expecting borderline private college/university type $$$$ from them! This all goes back to last Wednesday, A.K.A. the first day of the late winter/early spring semester, when I kept wandering around this building which (foolishly enough) has dorms located from the main entrance stretching up a bunch of floors (somewhere between 10 and 20, in my estimation), and classrooms located (again, foolishly enough) off to the side of the building, down a flight of stairs, and inside a small hallway connected to absolutely nothing else! Initially not knowing that such was the case, I headed for that building, had second thoughts, headed to another building for approximately a half-hour or so, and headed back to that building… Once inside, I headed inside the dorm building, thinking that the classrooms would be somewhere underneath it, but after heading down one staircase, heading back up to the main floor via an elevator located there, and that was when all the trouble started… Once I tried to leave the building the second time, I got stopped by a few dorm "employees" (in reality, a few students with a tiny corner office or whatnot), who proceeded to call police to check on me, not that I wanted or needed that sort of attention! Once they arrived and noticed that I wasn't communicating (not that I would have done so under any circumstances), they called in emergency medical services, probably thinking that some medical crisis would be bound to happen at any moment… They proceeded to search all kinds of information on myself that I didn't even know they had, and even if they didn't, I wasn't planning on giving them anything to begin with! The EMS people proceeded to get my family involved, which, out of all the people I would've wanted to mess with if I was one of them in that situation, it would be them, since they are among the few people who know what I've had to deal with my entire life without making any foolish assumptions or stereotypical beliefs! Fast forward to Friday, when I was back there after my scheduled day off (which will come even more in handy come mid-April!) to take my economics class with this relatively easy-going and quite culturally aware Greek-born-and-(probably) raised professor… Over the month-long winter break that these places provide between semesters (which, as you people know, I certainly took advantage of!), I decided to put two classes on Mondays and Wednesdays (accounting and writing), three classes on Tuesdays (economics, psychology, and statistics), and two on Fridays (economics and psychology)! As the beginning of the semester approached, however, with snow cancelling (yes, people; that's a slight bit of "Canadian English" for you!) what would've been the first day back, pushing that to Wednesday, that psych class got dropped out of its 4-5 P.M. window, leaving the economics class by itself on Fridays and the economics and statistics classes on Tuesdays… Now, I'm not normally the type of person to start controversies, seeing as I've already provided my "2 cents" on quite a few of them (no matter how minor or major they've been) previously on this blog, but this is where I felt compelled to start a bit of a "ruckus" with a place I already like starting quite a few of those with during the fall semester, and even quite a few years before I started there, as I took myself down to the Princeton campus twice, up to Harvard once, and got accepted to Temple University in Philadelphia, all before I started @ M.S.U., which only became a university in 1994! With all that having been said and done, I'd like to move on from talking about my current institution to focus on some others that I believe would serve myself and many others better than M.S.U., some of which are located right here in the Garden State!
As I already mentioned above, I visited Princeton twice in back-to-back years (2011 and 2012), once on a more general tour of that campus, and once on a more engineering-focused tour… Needless to say, I was more enamored by the campus the first time around, but I noticed something on both my visits there that the crap place I'm currently attending could take notice of: They might charge almost $40,000 each year, in line with its fellow Ivy League schools, but unlike my current place, they actually provide enough financial aid to their (4-year, since, from what I've noticed, this place doesn't accept transfers…) students to allow them to graduate with only around between one-third or one-half of their expected debt, not to mention the brilliant academic programs that virtually guarantee Princeton grads any career they desire in their post-grad lives! 

This place is no Princeton, but it did accept me the first time around (approximately a year ago), so if they're willing to keep that in the back of their minds, hopefully with a cost lower than the approximately $30,000 they were charging around that time when I applied for them, and they accepted me… Before I changed my mind due to the extreme out-of-state costs here, I was planning out my whole academic and even social life, which, considering the recent regional and even national success of their basketball program, most likely would've involved me visiting their basketball arena (the Liacouras Center, located in "Center City" Philadelphia) quite often!

Unlike Temple, which was charging a little less than $30,000 for out-of-state applicants and students, this place charged a little over $27,000 and change right here in the Garden State, so that coupled with its location (Glassboro, N.J., which I don't consider the most accessible location in this state!), I changed my mind on this place even sooner than I turned down Temple's initial admission offer!

There's a reason that this place is referred to around here as "the state university of N.J."; not only has this place been around since before this country even gained its independence (1766 and the 1781 British surrender, respectively), and it's grown to the point where it has three campuses (one of which I visited back in early 2006, when one of my older cousins was looking at a few campuses himself) in Camden, New Brunswick/Piscataway, and Newark and merged with the University of Medicine and Dentistry of N.J. around the middle of last year!

Not only is this place one of the few that's within an hour or so of my place right near N.Y.C., but it's also quite highly ranked in diversity (which I'm glad they take pride in) and the "social sciences", which I believe includes economics/finance, which I'm planning on majoring in!

No comments:

Post a Comment