8/23/17

unpopular eclipse-related opinion, and an early September update

In my opinion, the "great American solar eclipse" earlier today was much better seen online, or on TV, for those of us not in the so-called "path of totality", where people would be able to see 98/99/100% of the event, so I, personally, didn't even bother stepping outside at all during those few minutes, although, honestly, had I/we traveled to anywhere within that whole zone, you bet I/we would've been all over the event, waiting for the sky to darken for a few minutes, and watching that alongside dozens/hundreds/thousands of other "eclipse chasers", but, alas, we couldn't clear our calendars at all for this particular weekend, so we'll just have to make do with a partial eclipse around here, I guess, for a few more years...

Back on the sports front, though, apparently, the L.A. Chargers were immediately "eclipsed" by various other teams, in their first time back there since 1960, and that seems to already have the Oakland Raiders' front office, in particular, declaring victory:


...meanwhile, down in Carson, CA, attendance woes continue:


(I mean, have you seen the prices for their game this past weekend?)

...honestly, if it were up to me, the Chargers and Rams would already be sharing the L.A. Memorial Coliseum, in preparation for them sharing the L.A. Stadium @ Hollywood Park come 2020, which itself has been delayed a bit now from its originally planned 2019 opening!

Also, a few days ago, I told you about the opening weekend of the college football season, and, in case you need a bit of a reminder about the games I expressed interest in attending, here it is:

Holy Cross (FCS) @ UConn (Hartford, CT; Th. 8/31, 7:30 P.M.)

Fordham (FCS) @ Army (West Point, N.Y.; F. 9/1, 6 P.M.)

(#8) Washington @ Rutgers (Piscataway, N.J.; F. 9/1, 8 P.M.)

Morgan State (FCS) @ Towson (FCS) (Towson, MD; Sa. 9/2, 6 P.M.)

CCSU (FCS) @ Syracuse (Syracuse, N.Y.; Sa. 9/2, 7 P.M.)

"reach" games: Akron @ Penn State (State College/University Park, PA; Sa. 9/2, noon), Youngstown State (FCS) @ Pitt (Heinz Field, Pittsburgh; Sa. 9/2, 1 P.M.), North Carolina State v. South Carolina (Bank of America Stadium, Charlotte, NC; Sa. 9/2, 3 P.M.), Louisville v. Purdue (Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, IN; Sa. 9/2, originally scheduled for 3 P.M., but changed to 7:30), BYU v. LSU (NRG Stadium, Houston, TX; Sa. 9/2, 8 P.M.), or Virginia Tech v. West Virginia (Fedex Field, Landover, MD; Su. 9/3, 7:30 P.M.)

...and, honestly, at this point, out of interest in not seeing Rutgers get smashed by a top 10 opponent (Washington), and most likely seeing a 3/4-empty stadium by the end of the game, I've put that game down at the bottom of the list, out of all those aforementioned games for that weekend, despite that game being the closest to my place (by just about 10 minutes or so, in fact, compared to West Point), and, I mean, call me "jaded" if you'd like, but after seeing BYU v. West Virginia at Fedex Field late last September, I wouldn't mind doing a bit more traveling, considering the timing of things, over Labor Day weekend, to check out another pro venue, and leave the collegiate ones for later on in the season!

...not football, but I can tell you a game I'll definitely be attending over Thanksgiving weekend:

Well, perhaps I'll update you again sometime within these next few days about which game I end up attending the opening weekend of the season, but, if not, then I'll definitely show/tell you about which game I do end up attending that weekend after the fact!

No comments:

Post a Comment