3/23/14

my response to (yet another) prom invitation

as if I didn't need any more reasons to follow through with my idea...
Earlier today, I saw this post:

http://www.reddit.com/r/teenagers/comments/21cu99/other_so_my_old_hs_won_a_free_private_concert/

Apparently, somebody commented on how his "former high school" (to quote the relevant title) won a 100% free concert from a relatively well-known Canadian rock group, so if that can happen, then I'm sure that once word gets out to my former high school, that we'll have just as much success as they did, except my people will be able to have some influence on that decision, instead of some group just randomly deciding to play that other (Canadian) high school!

EDIT: Stop stalking me, Facebook! It was bad enough having Buzzfeed up my you-know-what earlier this year; now you have to follow suit!?

Approximately a week & a 1/2 or 2 weeks ago, this post happened:

http://anytandeverything.blogspot.com/2014/03/my-campaign-to-help-1-of-my-former-hss.html

Contained within that post were the following links:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/espn-beadle-accepts-prom-invite-paralyzed-teen-article-1.1720576 (sportscaster)

http://cbs12.com/news/top-stories/stories/local-high-school-student-asks-victorias-secret-model-prom-viral-video-13993.shtml (fashion model)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2569048/If-works-I-love-Flustered-Olympic-medallist-Gracie-Gold-accepts-video-prom-date-proposal-high-school-student-surprises-interview.html (Olympic figure skater)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24471063/twitter-prom-proposal-leads-to-date-with-texans-cheerleader (NFL cheerleader)

Now, I respect those people - both the "inviters" & the celeb "invitees" - but, in this case, only to an extent, since they're not who I'm looking for in this campaign of mine! This particular invitation, however, is more relevant not just to myself, this random dude, or a girl (mind you, she's only 20 years & 330-some days of age right now) who (1) already appeared here in Jersey last June, so this, assuming it happens, could very well turn into an annual thing, if not for herself, then definitely for us... (2) I'm not planning on inviting her, or anybody else all by myself... as much disdain as I have for political "movements" such as the Tea Party & the Occupy, & Arab Spring "movements", I believe that when enough people agree on a common goal, such as (in my case) bringing a performer/performers to East Rutherford, those movements seem to be more successful than when they involve 1 person, or a few people making decisions for everybody else (I'm looking at you, D.C.!) (3) I'm sure she's too busy working on some rather ironic titles (speaking of ironic titles...) to accept some isolated prom invitation, even though I'm sure she could captivate the entire dance floor with her moves! So, the verdict that I'd like to lay down is this: you can have her, if you don't change your mind over the next 3 months, but if we choose to bring her back here to Jersey within that timeframe, then you better bet she'd most likely prefer "serenading" an entire almost 800-strong graduating class than somebody singlehandedly looking to bring somebody like her to an undisclosed location for some "dirty dancing"!

I'd just like to remind you people part of my original post: "After all, as we've all seen over the past few days, weeks, & even months, contrary to popular belief, it seems as if getting certain celebrities (of one's personal choosing, that is) invited to certain events is the easy part instead of the hard 1; it seems as if getting the wherewithal & getting enough people to support one's efforts to get 1 of those people to some special event such as homecoming/prom/graduation/etc. is the hardest part of all! That being said, if individual people have managed to pull off something like that & successfully invite a celebrity with whom they are particularly enamored, then I'm even more convinced that, judging by the class of 2014's confidence & willingness to "start (its) own tradition", I'll be able to be part of a successful campaign to get a special private, most likely post-grad ceremony, performance by some well-known solo artist, group, or perhaps an entire group featuring another solo performer, on the last Thursday night in June in the Meadowlands in East Rutherford, N.J.!"

No comments:

Post a Comment